Thursday, August 29, 2013

My Little Super Hero!

If you don't know already, Ben got fitted with some super cool duds last week- a helmet!  Ben was born with congenital muscular torticollis- scary name for not a scary thing, that developed in utero due to some cramped quarters inside.  Basically, Ben was a little large for my uterus and so if you ever saw any of his ultrasound pictures you probably noticed that he always had his head tilted to one side.  That is the torticollis.  Torticollis is a tightened SCM muscle (the muscle in the side of your neck)  and torticollis is actually the fancy name for a stiff neck when you sleep wrong.  It is the same thing, except Ben doesn't know how to stretch it out on his own, so Matt and I stretch it out for him.  His torticollis has improved greatly and you can see this because he no longer tilts his head to the side anymore.  However, because of the tightened neck muscle Ben developed a preference for sleeping on his right side.  This developed a flat spot on the side of his head so after months of repositioning, Ben's doctors and Matt and I decided that the helmet would be the best thing.  I mean, life is tough enough, noone wants to go through it with a flat spot on their head.  So now, my precious little punkin has a super cool new helmet to wear for the next 3 months.  We are a week and a half into the therapy, but hey, who's counting?!  Mr. Jim (Ben's orthotist) assured me that the babies don't even mind the helmet but I was a little skeptical.  I have to say though, Ben REALLY doesn't seem to mind.  His disposition and attitude has not changed one bit.  He is still the happiest baby with the happiest disposition.  Anyway, here are a few pictures of my sweet boy who looks absolutely adorable in his new helmet!





GiGi took Ben to see Mr. Jim on Tuesday (thank you so so so much again GiGi, Ben had a blast and you don't know how much we appreciate it!) and he said that the helmet is already working!  I am keeping my fingers crossed that he is in it for less than 3 months. 

No comments:

Post a Comment